Genma Speaks

Entrepreneur/ Writer/ Radio-Host

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Christmas Connections: Santa You Look Like Me


"Santa You Look Like Me" featured is featured in the in Christmas Connections Winter 2019.    
Ms. Santa photo by C-Suite Photography Pics





 As a little girl growing up in rural Mississippi, my grandparents were the ultimate lovers of Christmas and I inherited their love for the season, year round. Their spirit of giving to and serving others were their calling cards in my small community. On merger means, my grandparents taught their grandchildren how special the most wonderful time of the year is by the lives they lived daily. When I became a young adult, I ventured off to New Orleans where I fell in love with the sights, sounds and palates of a city rich in cultural at every turn. It is in Crescent City where I had my very first Christmas experience away from my rural upbringing. I encountered the Christmas legend, the Seventh Ward Santa, Fred Parker; an experience that left me filled with awe and wonderment!

Seventh Ward's Chocolate Santa, Fred Parker.
 Fred Parker, ‘Nawlins’ world famous "Chocolate Santa," took my breathe away when I stumbled upon him at an event. Even now, I can visually recall his beautiful brown skin and silvery silky beard in a red Santa suit as if it was yesterday. I stared at him for hours it seemed watching one young child after another sit on his lap and smile for a photo with the Seventh Ward’s Chocolate Santa. I literally wanted to get in line as well but I was all too aware that most of the children were not much more than seven years old. With me standing at 5’10, I would never be able to explain myself to the mother and her children behind me I thought to myself. As I continued to stare from my perch, I wanted to touch his suit and tell him how much he reminded me of my grandfather with his kind words and sincere laughter. My world view of Christmas and Santa Claus had just expanded several galaxies at the point. I could not wait to tell my grandparents about the man in the red suit who looked like me.  

The heart stopping exhilaration I felt that momentous day is how I feel each time I don my red Christmas suit in the timeless tradition set by thousands of Santas who have helped usher in Christmas with countless children as they pose for photos and hear their wishes worldwide. As Ms. Santa, I live for each opportunity to share the goodness of mankind that can be seen during the most wonderful time of year. And beyond. 

Santa Larry (North Texas Larry Jefferson) with Marines.
Santa Larry leading a Christmas Parade.

Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza's Santa a.k.a Langston Patterson
Like many children who have sat on my lap for nearly two decades and stared at me in amazement, I, even as Ms. Santa, swell with pride and get goose bumps whenever I see Texas’ Larry Jefferson, California’s Langston Patterson and several others in the news for being Santa Claus. I know the story is about being a Santa Claus but the focus is on the rarity of being a person of color in the high profile role. I share often with my media friends what I have learned from my travels as Ms. Santa...there are diverse Santas throughout communities visiting schools and churches sharing the joy of Christmas with children; they just may not be on the evening news. Thankfully, through the lens of social media, the national narrative of who is portrayed in the red suit (or green, blue,and even pink) in the media is beginning to change because we are visually seeing Santas from various backgrounds in the spotlight for doing good deeds in and out of their red suits. 

8th Guest Appearance on Urban Outlook with April Eaton.
 Whenever the spotlight is on me, I am usually asked what is it like to portray Ms. Santa. I always share there is nothing like trying to make a difference in someone’s life at Christmastime. Uplifting the spirits of a family of a deployed member of the Armed Forces or creating a memory for a family that will have more meaning in years to come is truly soul stirring. It IS a blessing to be a blessing. And, I cherish the experience of a melanin child looking into my eyes while touching my red suit and breathlessly saying, “You look like me Ms. Santa.” I know all too well what that child is experiencing especially when it is a first photo with me. 


"I am Santa Too" Christmas Photos 2016.
I also love to encourage little girls that they too can grow up and wear a red suit whenever I am asked if she can be a Ms. Santa or a Mrs. Claus one day. “You can be whatever you want to be when you grow up. As a matter of fact, I cannot wait for you to apply for my job as Ms. Santa. I am going to retire when you get your red suit,” was my response to a little blonde blue eyed five-year-old with a pony tail who could not stop hugging me at one of my school visits in December. After our photos were taken, she whispered with glee to her grandmother, “I am going to be Mrs. Santa Claus when I get real old.” Children really do say the darnedest things!

Breakfast with Ms. Santa 2015.
Ms. Santa @ Tulip Grove Elementary 2017.
5th Annual Holiday Visit to Nia House Montessori School 2018.

I can hardly wait to see where she will be in a few years and I look forward to the next generation of Santa Clauses, Mrs. Clauses, and Ms. Santas in their red suits with great expectation. I know they will come from diverse communities from around the globe so every child will be able to say with awe and wonderment, “Hey Santa, you look like me!”
Share:

1 comment

Santa Larry said...

Love it! A beautiful reflection of what Christmas is all about. Love you Ms. Santa! We need more Mrs. Claus's and Ms. Santa. Anyone interested in being a Santa or Mrs. Claus for their community reach out to me I'm hosting a Santa and Mrs. Claus Workshop in Dallas Metroplex this summer. WWW.SANTADALLASTEXAS.COM P.S. Love the article! Santa Larry

Blog Design Created by pipdig